There was a time, it was normal to use cables for connecting the computer to the internet. But, in this era of modern technology, everyone prefers wireless connections.
There are still some fair reasons to connect your desktop to the internet with a cable, it may be your computer is older or anything else, however, you want to move to a wireless connection because of the easy and hassle-free connection.
Yes, you can do it!! And in this article, I will let you know how you can connect your computer to wifi without cable. So, let’s start.
The 4 Effective Ways to Connect a Computer to WiFi Without Cable in 2023
Here, I am describing the four surprising ways to connect your computer to wifi without cable. So, let’s know these surprising ways:
1. USB WiFi Adapters
If you want to connect your computer to wifi without a cable then a USB adaptor might be the best option. A USB adaptor allows your PC to connect wirelessly to the router in spite of not having any wireless network card.
How to install a USB adaptor?
Generally, A USB WiFi adapter can connect to the wifi automatically but if it doesn’t then follow the following methods:
- A USB WiFi adapter usually comes with a CD. Insert the CD into your PC and install the driver software package completely.
- Then, connect your USB WiFi adapter to your computer and follow the instructions as you can see on the screen.
- Go to the Setup wizard and set the name of your USB WiFi adapter.
- Then set a login password and search the available WiFi networks in the range.
- Click to your desired network and give the password to access the network.
Benefits of using a USB WiFi adapter
- Don’t need to set up any extra computer hardware.
- Easy wireless setup.
- Don’t require to use of any cable.
- Less expensive.
Best Recommended USB WiFi Adapter: NETGEAR AC1900 Wi-Fi USB 3.0 Adapter for Desktop PC.
2. PCIe Wi-Fi cards
If you want to connect your computer to the latest and fastest wireless technology, then you must have to select the PCI-e WiFi adapter. It provides higher-speed internet and is much better than the USB WiFi Adapter considering overall aspects.
Your computer comes with a built-in WiFi adapter, but it may not be the best option for connecting to the internet. For faster speeds, you should connect to the internet using a PCI-e WiFi adapter. These adapters are available as standalone cards or as add-ons to motherboards. They provide higher speed internet and are much better than the USB WiFi Adapter considering overall aspects.
How to install a PCIe Wi-Fi card?
- Turn off your PC and unplug it from the outlet.
- Open your PC’s cabinet.
- Point out the PCI slot( an empty slot).
- Remove the slot’s cover.
- Set up the PCI-e WiFi adapter.
- Secure the adapter using the screw.
- Close up the cabinet.
- Insert the CD and install the drivers.
- After installed, restart your PC.
This video will be most useful for installing your wifi card.
Benefits of Using PCI-e WiFi Adapters
- Stronger network connection
- Designed with antennas
- Don’t require any USB port
Best Recommended PCI-e WiFi Adapter: ASUS PCE-AC88 Dual-Band 4×4 AC3100 WiFi PCIe adapter.
3. WiFi-enabled Motherboard
The WiFi-enabled Motherboard means your PC needs no extra hardware to connect with a router or wifi extender.
If you look for the easiest way to connect your computer to wifi without cable, then the WiFi-enabled Motherboard will be the best option. Besides, you can upgrade your computer and get the best out-of-network connectivity.
How to install a WiFi-enabled Motherboard?
If you buy a new WiFi-enabled Motherboard then it comes with a driver disk. So, insert the disk and install the driver following the instructions.
Benefits of Using WiFi-enabled Motherboard
- High-speed networking
- Comes with lots of features
- You can upgrade with the latest features
- Don’t require to use any separate card
Best Recommended WiFi-enabled Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
4. WiFi Card
A wifi card, mostly known as a wireless network card is such a device through which you can connect your PC with wifi without cable. Its installation is alike to the PCI-e adapter’s installation. If you set up a good wifi card on your PC, it will help you to get a stable wireless connection and the wireless connection will never drop. But before installing a wifi card be sure whether your pc supports this card.
How to install a WiFi card?
- Open the PC and track out the PCI-e slot.
- Set up the wifi card perfectly opening the slot cover.
- Lock the slot with the screw perfectly.
- Close the cabinet carefully.
- Then, insert the driver disk and install it following the proper instructions.
- Then boot up your computer.
- You’re ready to connect your wifi.
Benefits of Using WiFi Card
- Comes with antennas.
- Higher wireless speeds.
- Superior range.
Best Recommended WiFi Card: TP-Link AC1200 PCIe WiFi Card for PC.
How to connect the computer to wifi without cable Windows 10?
I need to connect my computer to wifi in order to give it access to the internet and safely browse.
In order for your computer to connect wirelessly to a network, you will need a wireless adapter and a compatible router. You can find a list of compatible routers here. Once you have acquired these items, follow these steps in order to connect your computer:
10 Steps to connect the computer to WiFi without cable Windows 10
|1. Insert the wireless adapter into your computer’s USB port|
|2. Connect your router’s broadband cable to one of the router’s Ethernet ports.|
|3. Connect your computer’s Ethernet cable to another one of the router’s Ethernet ports.|
|4. Open up Windows 10 or 8 and sign in with your Microsoft account|
|5. Click on “Network and Sharing Center.”|
|6. Click on “Wi-Fi.”|
|7. Click on the name of your wireless network.|
|8. If prompted, enter the password for your network.|
|9. Click on the “Connect” button.|
|10. You will now be connected to your wireless network!|
So, What is the best way to connect a PC to WIFI?
After reading the four methods, now you can understand the best way to connect your computer to wifi is the USB Wi-Fi adapter. Because it’s lower-priced, easier to install, smaller & portable as well. It might be the greatest option for you overall.
Why Is My PC Not Connecting To WIFI?
There may be many reasons for your PC not connecting to wifi. Every wifi router comes with a particular wifi coverage and if your pc is out of that coverage, then your pc can’t connect to wifi or WiFi Extender for FiOs. So, be sure your pc is in the range.
Check the router is powered. If it’s unplugged then plug it in the outlet perfectly. Ensure your wifi pass and username is correct.
In the case of adapters, you should update them regularly with the latest version. Check the adapters whether it’s compatible with your computer or not before buying.
1. Can I connect my PC to Wi-Fi without Ethernet?
If you’re looking for a way to connect your PC to Wi-Fi without using an Ethernet cable, there are a few different methods available. You can use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi Direct. Bluetooth is simple to set up and works with most devices, but Wi-Fi Direct is more reliable and can be used with more devices.
To use Wi-Fi Direct, you’ll need a device called a wireless router. You can find these routers at your local store or online. Once you have the router, connect it to your PC with an Ethernet cable. Then, connect the Ethernet cable to the router and the other end to a power source. Finally, connect your devices (mobile phone, tablet, etc.) to the router using Wi-Fi Direct.
2. Why does my PC not have Wi-Fi?
If you’re having trouble connecting to a Wi-Fi network, there may be several reasons. Here are a few:
- The network is blocked by your firewall or antivirus software.
- The network is password protected.
- Your PC doesn’t have the right drivers installed.
- You might not be using the correct SSID (network name) or password.
3. How do I set up a computer network step by step?
1. Open your web browser and go to the network’s home page.
2. Click the “Home” or “Setting” button in the upper-right corner of your web browser, and then click on the “Network and Sharing Center.”
3. Double-click on your Wi-Fi network name in the list that appears, and then click on the Properties button.
4. Under “General,” make sure that your Wi-Fi network is set to Automatic (Manual mode should only be used for testing purposes).
5. In the “IP address” section, type in an IP address that corresponds to one of your routers’ primary addresses (usually 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1). You can also find this information by clicking on your router’s icon in the Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking on its properties page (usually 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0./8).
6 Click on the Security tab, and make sure that both of your routers are set to have the same security types (WPA Personal or WPA2 Personal). You can also leave these settings at their defaults if they’re correct; however, it’s a good idea to change them periodically just to be safe!
7 Click OK when you’re finished configuring your network settings, and then close all of your browser windows except for explorer (or whichever window you’re using)
4. What are the 3 types of wireless connections?
There are three types of wireless connections:
• Wireless broadband (Wi-Fi and cellular)
• Wireless local area network (WLAN)
• Wireless personal area network (WPAN)
I have described 4 methods to connect your computer to wifi without any cable. You may select any method according to your choice. But in my opinion, the most affordable, easiest, and fastest way to connect your PC wirelessly to Wifi is using USB WiFi Adapters. So, my best recommendation is NETGEAR AC1900 Wi-Fi USB 3.0 Adapter for Desktop PC.