If you want to measure your cell phone signal strength, then this article might be most helpful to you.
We usually get an idea of signal strength by seeing the signal bar of a cell phone, for instance, 1 signal bar means the lowest signal strength, and a full signal bar on your cell phone means the highest signal strength, right?
And no signal bar on your cell phone means there is the lowest signal strength in your phone..but does the signal bar give accurate signal strength measurement?
However, in this article, we will know the accurate measurement of cell signal strength and you can measure it following some procedures. So, let’s get started.
What Does Cell Phone Signal Strength Mean?
In telecommunications, Cell phone signal strength is basically the power of a signal that your cell phone receives from a cell tower.
The signal power of the receiver or per length voltage received by the reference antenna is the cell phone signal strength.
The signal strength is measured in dBm, which stands for decibels in milliwatts. The higher the dBm, the stronger the signal.
Besides, You may read another article about the cell phone booster for RV that make your RV traveling more enjoyable.
3G Signal Strength Range
|Signal Range||Strength Level||Network Bars|
|-50 to -70 dBm||Excellent signal strength||4 to 5 bars|
|-71 to -85 dBm||Good signal strength||3 to 4 bars|
|-86 to -100 dBm||Fair signal strength||2 to 3 bars|
|-101 to -109 dBm||Poor signal strength||1 to 2 bars|
|-110 to -120 dBm||Dead zone or no signal strength||0 bar|
4G/LTE Signal Strength Range
|Signal Range||Strength Level||Network Bars|
|-50 to -90 dBm||Excellent signal strength||4 to 5 bars|
|-91 to -105 dBm||Good signal strength||3 to 4 bars|
|-106 to -110 dBm||Fair signal strength||2 to 3 bars|
|-111 to -119 dBm||Poor signal strength||1 to 2 bars|
|-120 dBm||Dead zone or no signal strength||0 bar|
What Is A Good Cell Phone Signal Strength?
Cell signal strength is typically ranged from -50 dBm to -110 dBm, and if the dBm number as much as will be closer to 0, the cell signal strength will be considered stronger.
But generally, -30 to -85 decibels is considerably usable cell signal strength and if your cell phone signal strength is above the range, then definitely you need a cell signal booster.
A cell phone signal strength can enhance your cell signal power better than -70 dBm.
The table above gives you an idea of what is considered a good, fair, or poor signal strength. But what is a good cell phone signal strength?
A good signal strength for 3G is -50 to -70 dBm and -50 to -90 dBm for 4G. Anything below that is considered a poor signal.
For instance, -50 dBm is excellent signal strength, while -105 dBm is only a good signal strength. If you’re trying to get the best possible 3G or 4G signal, aim for -50 dBm. How To Measure Cell Phone Signal Strength?
There are two ways to measure cell phone signal strength:
Method 1: Use A Cell Phone App
There are a number of apps that you can use to measure cell phone signal strength. One of the most popular is the Open Signal app, which is available for both Android and iOS devices.
To use the Open Signal app, simply download and install it on your device, then launch the app and let it run in the background. The app will automatically measure your signal strength and show you the results in real time.
Method 2: Use The Phone’s Status Menu
You can also measure cell phone signal strength using your phone’s status menu. To do this, simply open the status menu and look for the signal strength indicator.
The signal strength indicator will show you the signal strength in dBm. For instance, -105 dBm is a good signal, while -120 dBm is a poor signal. How To Improve Cell Phone Signal Strength?
If you’re trying to improve your cell phone signal, then read this article.
How to measure Android Signal Strength
- Step 1: Go to Settings on your Android phone
- Step 2: Then, Go to System Settings
- Step 3: Tap on the About Phone option
- Step 4: Go to Status
- Step 5: Then, select Sim Card Status
- Step 6: Here you can see the signal strength that’s expressed in dBm or in ASU. You can convert ASU to dBm. dBm = -113+(2*ASU)
How to measure iPhone Signal Strength
- Step 1: Ensure your wifi is off otherwise you can’t get you true cell signal strength of your iPhone
- Step 2: Go to Settings
- Step 3: Choose Cellular (or Mobile Data if you’re not in the US)
- Step 4: Look at the number next to “Cellular Data” or “Mobile Data.” This is your current signal strength. The closer this number is to zero, the stronger your cellular signal. A number of -50 or higher is considered a good signal.
- Step 5: Here again another menu will appear and Tap on the Serving Cell Measure from the options
- Step 6: Here you can see a list of data continuously updating and from the list look for rsrp0 that’s the true signal strength received by the nearest cell tower. And you can also see here rsrp1 that’s also the true signal strength received by the secondary nearest tower.
How To Measure Cellular Signal Strength On a Computer?
- Step 1: Plug in a modem in the computer or laptop (inserted a sim on the modem)
- Step 2: Install the modem if it’s the first time on the computer and wait for the green signal
- Step 3: Then go to a browser and type 192.168.1.1 and enter
- Step 4: A home screen will appear and here you can find the signal strength
- Step 5: Go to the signal strength and check
1. What is dBm?
dBm the full form of ‘decibel milliwatts’ is the unit of measurement of the signal strength of the radio, microwave, and fiber-optical network. The number of dBm is as much as closer to Zero which means the signal strength will be as much stronger.
2. What is ASU in signal strength?
ASU the full-form Arbitrary Strength Unit is the integer value proportional to the received signal power by the cell tower. The valid range of ASU for LTE is from 0-97 and you can change ASU into dBM as dBm= -113+(2*ASU).
3. How do I boost my signal strength?
If you live in an area with poor cellular signal strength, there are a few things you can do to boost your signal.
- Use a cell phone signal booster. A signal booster amplifies your existing signal and can significantly improve your call quality and data speeds.
- Place your cell phone in a window. This will help to ensure that you’re receiving the strongest possible signal.
- Avoid using your cell phone in areas with lots of obstructions, such as buildings or underground tunnels. These can block or weaken your signal.
- Move to a higher location. If you’re able to move to a higher spot, such as a hilltop or rooftop, you may be able to get better reception.
- Check for network outages or maintenance in your area. Sometimes, weak signals are caused by network issues beyond your control.
4. What’s considered a good cell signal?
A good cell signal is one that is strong enough to allow for clear communication between you and the person you are talking to. This means that there is minimal static or interference on the line and that you can hear each other clearly. In order to have a good cell signal, you need to be in an area with good cell reception.
If you are in an area with good cell reception, but still have a weak signal, it could be due to your phone itself. Older phones, or those with poor antennae, can have trouble picking up a strong signal even when they are in a good reception area.
In fact, you can understand the signal strength of your cell phone by seeing the network bars on the home screen. But if you want to measure the actual signal strength of your cell phone, then you must follow the above steps properly.
However, if you want to boost your cell signal strength, then you may read this article on how to boost cell signal strength.
Hopefully, these articles will help you most to get a better internet/network connection at your home.