You may believe that turning off your phone requires pressing the power button. But what if you break it by accident or don’t have access to it? Is it possible to turn your phone off without pressing the power button?
It turns out that you can. We’ve put together a few simple and easy-to-follow guides for both iPhone and Android phones.
There are a variety of hidden methods for turning off your Android phone without using the power button. Some of these methods are complicated, but they are not difficult to implement.
Turn Off Your Phone in Settings
From your settings, you can do a lot, including turning off your phone. Depending on the brand, Android phones can have a variety of settings. However, every phone has this basic setting.
- Navigate to the Settings menu.
- Look for the Power Off button and click it.
- This option may have a different name. If that doesn’t work, try looking for Switch Off, Shut Down, or Turn Off.
- You can now see all of your important settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom and select the Power Off option.
You can turn off the phone this way, but you can’t turn it back on without using the power button.
Use the Scheduled Power Off button to turn off your phone.
You can use the Scheduled Power Off feature to turn it off and on.
- Navigate to the Settings menu.
- In the search bar, look for the Scheduled Power Off option.
- Make time to turn off your phone.
You can program when you want your phone to turn off, and it will do so.
From the Assistant Menu, select Phone Off
The Accessibility feature is already present on almost all Android phones. It is a tiny floating box that allows you to perform multiple actions with a single tap. It’s similar to the iPhone’s Assistive Touch. You can easily turn off your phone once you enable this feature.
- Navigate to the Settings menu.
- In the search bar, type Accessibility.
The Interaction and Dexterity option on Samsung phones allows you to enable the Assistant menu. On other phones, such as Xiaomi, Vivo, and Oppo, you can search for Accessibility and enable the Accessibility Menu shortcut directly.
- After you’ve enabled the floating box, tap it to reveal the power button.
It’s worth noting that some phones may require you to enable a navigation bar in order to access Accessibility. So, if you’re having issues, checking the navigation bar may be of assistance.
Using Third-Party Apps to Turn Off Your Phone
A third-party app can also be useful as an easier alternative. Power Menu is one such easy-to-use app.
- Install and launch Power Menu from the Play Store.
- Choose the option Take me to the Settings screen.
- Give the app Accessibility permission.
- Return to the app and select Open Power Menu.
- Open the Power Menu
- You can now select the Power off option.
Note: If your phone’s battery is running low, you may not need to take any action because it will shut down automatically. Simply plug your phone back into its power adapter to restart it.
The solutions for iPhones are similar to those for Android phones. Siri, settings, and Assistive touch can all be used to turn off your phone. Let’s go over them in more detail.
Turn off your iPhone With Siri or Google Assistant
You can simply tell Siri to turn off your phone with your voice. Siri, however, can only lock your screen and not enable Shut Down. Still, this ability is handy if you are busy cooking or doing something else and can’t touch your phone.
As for Google Assistant, it can neither lock nor power off your phone. However, Google might introduce this feature in the future.
Turn Off Your iPhone in Settings
- Simply navigate to Settings, then General.
- Scroll up to the bottom of the page to find the Shut Down button.
- Slide the power off button to the right after tapping on it.
Turn Off Your iPhone Using Assistive Touch
If you haven’t already enabled Assistive Touch, you can do so in your settings.
- Navigate to Accessibility.
- Choose Touch and then Assistive Touch.
- To enable Assistive Touch, slide the toggle.
- Select Device by tapping the Assistive Touch circle on your screen.
- Select Lock Screen.
- This icon will not force your iPhone to restart. However, if you want to restart your phone, tap More and then Restart.
How can I turn my Android phone back on without using the power button?
A: There are a few methods to try:
- Plug your phone into a charger, which may automatically turn it on.
- Use the “Volume Up” and “Home” buttons on some devices. Press and hold these buttons together, and your phone might turn on.
- Connect your phone to a computer via a USB cable. This can also prompt the device to turn on.
How can I turn my iPhone back on without using the power button?
A: You can try the following:
Connect your iPhone to a charger. This often powers the device automatically.
If you have enabled Assistive Touch, you can use it to restart your phone by tapping the Assistive Touch button, selecting Device, and then tapping on the Lock Screen. Once the screen is locked, you can unlock your iPhone to power it back on.
Is it possible to repair a broken power button?
A: Yes, you can get your power button repaired at an authorized service center or by a skilled technician. The cost of the repair will depend on your phone model and the extent of the damage.
Are there any alternatives to the power button for waking up my phone?
A: Yes, many smartphones have alternative methods for waking up the device without using the power button. These may include:
- Double-tapping the screen (if the feature is supported by your device)
- Using fingerprint scanners or facial recognition to unlock the phone
- Utilizing third-party apps that offer “wake on gesture” functionality
Can I customize the power button’s functionality on my Android phone?
A: On some Android devices, you can customize the power button’s functionality by accessing the settings. For instance, you may be able to set a double press or long press to launch specific apps, activate the flashlight, or perform other actions. The availability of these customizations will depend on your phone’s model and software version.
There are alternative ways to turn off your Android or iPhone without using the power button. For Android phones, you can utilize settings, the scheduled power-off feature, the assistant menu, or third-party apps.
For iPhones, you can rely on Siri, settings, or Assistive Touch. While these methods offer temporary solutions for managing your device without the power button, it’s important to get the button repaired if it’s damaged or not functioning properly.
In the meantime, these alternative methods can help you maintain control over your device and ensure its proper usage even without the power button.